Tuesday, April 12, 2011

nothing new week ?

I haven't been blogging much lately (reading or posting). I have been trying to slow down my life and cut out anything non-essential or enriching. Sometimes blog reading can be enriching, but it often requires sifting through unenriching material to get there. I also haven't visited facebook it the last couple months except to send messages.

But I thought I owed everyone an update on my nothing new challenge. I have modified the challenge a bit...okay the bit I modified is a big bit...I have taken clothes out of it. Due to time and supply I only purchased about 4 used clothing items...2 of which I haven't worn once. And I don't have enough time to sew things and make/refurbish things for my home. However, I have become much more focused on the clothes shopping front and have decided I want to only go shopping 4 times a year and when I go I will buy one complete outfit including shoes and accessories. I did that in March and I was so pleased with how it enhanced my wardrobe. I am also in the process of altering some things in my closet that I love, but are too big. I have also made a few things. Some people say sewing doesn't save money, but when you are designing and making exactly what you want you get more bang for your buck. It also means that rather than going to the mall to look for something specific and seeing 3 items you don't need, but want...you go to the fabric store and get exactly what you need.

I am, however, not buying any new clothing for my boys. I buy used shoes and a few other pieces and make the basics. I am making shorts. I am ordering plain t-shirts at $2 a piece and adding stencils and appliques to give them a mini-Boden look. I'll take pictures of them at some point. For the most part I like what I can make better than what I can buy for them. Little boys clothes just aren't that interesting. And they are easy and inexpensive to make.

As for the rest of the challenge it still gives me positive energy. I had the same feeling when I didn't own a car. I felt like I was helping the world in my own small way. I am reducing clutter and garbage. And I am using other people's clutter and garbage. There is truly some green blood inside of me. I probably got it from my parents. They were always conscientious of waste...if you have ever had a baked potato at my parents home and you don't know any better you will be the only one that doesn't fold your tin foil nicely to be used again.

Pictures of my living room will come soon. It has come a long way, but still has a long way to go. Interior design is so much fun...although I am far better at the execution than the ideas. I have been fortunate to find some designer friends come through the wood work.

I do need to mention one other thing about this challenge...one of the reasons it is so fun is because of where I live. DC is full of people who have a lot of money and move often. Therefore craigslist is wonderful. People also buy all the nicest things for their children and since they only have 1 or 2 of them. I don't think you will find a better place for 2nd hand...especially in Utah or a small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment