Saturday, January 29, 2011

help me decorate

Hi everyone. I am looking for some input on what to do on this big white wall I have...and also the trunk next to the couch (thank you MLK 50% off day at Unique!) So here is a full view of the room just for reference.

So here is the entry:

the living room...windows to be dressed soon in a black fabric with bright colored trees branches and flowers, big gold (and perhaps small magenta) pillows for the couch

and here is the big white wall in question...
We will be putting a 7" deep shelf across the whole wall which will hold small paperback books with perhaps a few cool bookends. These windows will hang directly above where they sit and will be filled with various pictures and art. (Thanks to Cami for snagging up 5 off the curb and sharing!) I am envisioning something like this one I found on etsy minus the jar and hooks.


So here are the options...keep in mind that I want more color...I like the colors I have, but I want some pops of color somewhere in this room. But it can't compete with the green chair.

The options for the wall, shelf and windows:
1. paint more yellow stripes and paint shelf and windows white
2. leave the wall white paint the windows and/or shelf a color (options below)
3. wall white, shelf and windows neutral or white
4. wall white and upholster the shelf with a print
5. any other combination of the above
Another option for color might be the trunk, but it might be too big and thus compete with the chair...here is my design idea for the trunk...a combination of these 2 designs. But I can't decide...white or color (use color selection above for reference).

This is from Three Men and a Lady. She is also the inspiration for my striped wall and the stump. I would find a tree that is more branchy.

etsy...sorry no link...I'm too lazy to search for it...

So now that I've processed while posting I think I know what I'm going to do, but I'm not going to say until I hear your input.

3 comments:

  1. I love this kind of thing! I think you should leave the wall white, paint the shelf poppy orange or dark turquoise and the windows the same yellow as the wall stripes. Thus tying it all together.

    For the chest I LOVE the look of the brown wood against the white, so I vote white. And I also love that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I've been thinking about it and I don't have any brilliant ideas or anything, but here's what I would do. Leave the wall white (I think more stripes would be too busy) and paint the windows and shelf. The colors I like are sage and either coral or rust.

    For the trunk, I would paint it a light color--maybe the sage again--something that won't compete with the chair but something that will add a little more color. I wouldn't paint it white (no offense Cami!) because you already have a lot of white wall space. But I LOVE the tree design. I think that would look really good on your trunk.

    So fun! Your place is going to be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I was going to say that I think a big clock would look really good on that striped wall. Right above the stump (which I love). I love big clocks!

    ReplyDelete