Saturday, January 1, 2011

nothing new begins!

I am excited to begin this challenge! I confess, I've been doing some shopping in December to prepare...mainly clothes and household items I really wanted new. But 2011 has begun and enough of that. I looking forward to focusing more on what I have and less on what I want. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I admit at times the challenge sounded downright depressing, but pondering the challenge has led to excitement. About a week ago I was moved to tears as I thought of all that I had. I have everything I need. Everything. I'd like to say that I have everything because I have my husband and children, but quite honestly they are a bonus (a very big one I admit). However, not everyone has a husband and children and I don't believe this has to limit a person from self-actualizing. It helps, but something could happen to one of them and I'd still have to be somebody.

Take a look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs.


See, I have everything. I bet many of you have it all, too!

Each week I want to have a focus. Otherwise I'll wander aimlessly through thift stores and projects.

Week 1: Get rid of 10 things I don't need that could be of use to someone else. Take them to the Salvation Army, consign or post on craigslist or ebay.

I can think of a few already
1. the vintage table I picked up off the street for my sewing table, but it didn't work out
2. random toys that no one plays with, but end up on the floor
3. a computer...seriously, I have a newish MacBook Pro and a Mac desktop. Mac replaced Jeff's laptop 1 month shy of the expiration of Apple Care and we had just purchased a desktop less than a year before. We've been sitting on this decision and it is time to do something about it. I love my laptop, but does a stay-at-home mom really need 2 computers?
4. my black-tie black dress that I wore once...bought it thinking Jeff would be working for a firm and I'd need one occasionally...I have no need for a black-tie dress at least for the foreseeable future and if I do I'll want a new one
5. our old old macbook
6. old 35 mm SLR

No comments:

Post a Comment